Among the many signs of summer that the coronavirus pandemic is silencing: the annual parade that draws tens of thousands of supporters of Israel to New York City’s Fifth Avenue. Not to worry. Zoom and YouTube are here to help you help Israel blow out the candles. Here’s how you can celebrate Israel’s 72nd birthday.
TUESDAY, APRIL 28
Yom Hazikaron Memorial with FIDF
Program includes siren to mark Yom Hazikaron; Yizkor recited by FIDF National board member Shmuel Katz; Kaddish with Alon Carmeli, father of Staff Sgt. Sean Carmeli z”l; IDF Chief Cantor, Lt. Col. Shai Abramson singing El Malei Rachamim; Miriam Peretz who lost two sons during their army service; remarks byFIDF National Director and CEO, Maj. Gen. (Res.) Meir Klifi-Amir; performance by IDF Ensemble, and more.
This event is part of the FIDF Engage series. For more information on the FIDF Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha’Atzmaut ceremonies, visit fidf.org/covid19/engage.
Reflection & Celebration
Mark the transition between Yom Hazikaron and Yom Ha’atzmaut, with reflections, songs and games. Sponsored by Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford, Solomon Schechtter Day School, New England Jewish Academy, Farmington Valley Jewish Congregation, Young Israel of West Hartford, Mandell JCC, JTConnect, The Emanuel Synagogue.
This event is part of the FIDF Engage series. For more information on the FIDF Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha’Atzmaut ceremonies, visit fidf.org/covida9/engage.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29
Yom Ha’atzmaut with FIDF
Festivities hosted by comedian and former IDF Lone Soldier, Joel Chasnoff; update from Brig. Gen. Rotem Yaniv, Head of Military R&D in Israel’s Ministry of Defense; visit from Israel by Private Michael, a Lone Soldier from Boston; performance by Israel’s Eurovision representative and IDF soldier, Corporal Eden Alena with the IDF Ensemble; address from Israel’s President, Reuven Rivlin; and more.
his event is part of the FIDF Engage series. For more information on the FIDF Yom HaZikaron and Yom Ha’Atzmaut ceremonies, visit fidf.org/covida9/engage.
2 – 3 p.m.
Worldwide Yom Ha’atzmaut Celebration!
A Facebook Live event
- Matisyahu sings a medley of “One Day” with voices from the Jewish Agency for Israel’s Partnership2Gether communities around the world, and Jewish leaders from more than 30 countries sharing a message of hope and celebration;
- American film star Joshua Malina shares stories about how Israeli doctors and scientists are on the front lines of the battle against COVID-19;
- The Brothers Platt – Ben, Henry and Jonah—sing together;
- Chefs from around the world debate whether falafel is the quintessential Israeli Adeena Sussman, author of the bestselling cookbook Sababa, teaches how to make it;
- Isaac ‘Bougie’ Herzog, the son of former Israeli President Chaim Hertzog z”l, tells a story about Israel’s War of Independence and pays tribute to former Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion z”l;
- Exclusive footage of Israel’s Yom Ha’atzmaut ceremony on Mt. Hertzl;
- Vocalists Rita (Israel) and Caissie Levy (Canada) lead a grand finale in which everyone joins together to sing Hatikva, accompanied by Jewish musicians from Israel and around the world.
Get a head start on the celebration now by sharing your thoughts, wishes and favorite memories of Israel on social media. Post photos or videos on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #IsraelToMe and tell all your friends using the hashtags: #JewishTogether #CelebrateIsrael #Israel72.