In 1916, 26 Stamford families and individuals came together to found the Hebrew Institute. Housed in the basement of the old Agudath Sholom Synagogue on Greyrock Place, the Hebrew Institute flourished and grew, and in 1930 opened the doors to its new home on Prospect Street. The name was changed to the Stamford Jewish Center, and it became the first building to serve an entire Jewish community in all of New England. Fifty years later, in 1980, the Jewish Community Center of Stamford made another step forward when it constructed its current home on Newfield Avenue.
On Saturday evening, March 12, the JCC of Stamford launched a celebration of this centennial year with a pull-out-all-the-stops fundraising gala attended by close to 300 people at Rockrimmon Country Club in Stamford.
“The JCC has always been a place where wonderful things happen, day after day,” said gala co-chair Arlene Ettinger. “Children are taught, seniors share meals, friendships are formed. Lifelong memories are created and passed down through generations. The Centennial Gala was a true celebration of all that makes our JCC so special to Stamford.”
Co-chair Susan Peyser added, “As we celebrate the JCC’s 100th birthday we are extremely proud of our service to the people we have touched along the way. The gala was a party that felt like coming home, as we welcomed old friends and new, shared stories of the past, and created new memories.”
“The gala was not only a celebration of 100 years of service to the community,” Ettinger concluded, “we also raised funds that will enable us to continue to offer the full array of educational, cultural, social, recreational and leadership programs that enrich the lives of the thousands of families and individuals who are part of the JCC family.”
Presided over by Stamford’s Alan Kalter, who served as master of ceremonies, the Centennial Gala highlighted past and present, as JCC members and friends shared memories and stories. (Photos by Aviva Maller Photography).
CAP: The gala committee: (l to r) Nina Lotstein, Linda Rubinstein, co-chair Susan Peyser, Lori Tobin, co-chair Arlene Ettinger, Gail G. Trell, Stephanie Sherman, Lisa Gomberg and Betsey Selkowitz. Missing from photo are Lynn Pearce and Dorothy Zeide.